Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Up to Now...October

I don't remember if I told y'all that what they think I have is called OSTEOPETROSIS which is where your bones get too dense, and break rather than bend. It's sort of the opposite of osteoporosis. It is considered a rare disease by the National Institute of Health... they say that only 1 in 20,000 get it. It's hereditary. They suspect that I could break more bones (ick!)

So now my left leg is healed enough so that I've gone back to visit the surgeon, J. Dean Cole, MD. in Orlando. Dr. Cole, it turns out, invented the pin and screw that I have in my left leg. He doesn't say anything bad about how the first one (the right) was done, only that it will fail, and he'd rather operate before that happens, although he can handle it if it's after.

We're now looking at the end of November, because my left leg will be strong enough so that I'll be able to use a walker while the right leg heals.

On top of this is the fun of being totally off prednisone, which means that the arthritis and fibromyalgia, from which I hadn't suffered, is coming on strong, because prednisone is also an anti-inflammatory.

I'm so lucky, though, I have a whirlpool (hot tub, spa, whatever they are called), so my usual routine begins with a soak, then breakfast. If I'm up for it, I have weights that I can wear in the spa, and exercises I can do. They are much easier in the water. And a lot more fun.

I hate Physical Therapy: I've been doing some form of it most of my life, however this time I've found a terrorist with a sense of humor, who is a trekker, builds small rockets for a hobby, and does stained glass windows for another hobby. Most wonderful is that I feel better after my hour of out-patient PT than when I went in! They are are a new, sort of, group called Highlands Rehab. They actually worked for another group who decided to pull out of our county, and these three or four decided to stay here and open up their own shop. Greg, my terrorist is now working with Al and Shana, and another lovely lady whose name I don't know. Usually I feel better when I leave than when I come...

So now it's working daily at getting better, getting Adopt a Grandparent straight, and doing email. I'm also struggling with a painting... I'm about ready to white it over and start again. I'm also working on knitting a felted bag, a cotton top, and an afghan to donate to the Martincitos.

The weather is cooling off as well, so I believe I'd like to start walking outside (still on the walker), and at least, I can sit on our "LANAI", a Florida term from Hawaii which means screened in porch.

So I have lots I can do, the trouble is simply getting the energy to do any of them. I'm writing this on my Palm Pilot, for transfer later, which means I'm still in bed and it's almost lunch time. No real problem, though, I have gotten up, and gotten dressed, and am doing this.

My thoughts are with all of you who read this. Thank you. Please write to me at "paralipa@yahoo.com", so I can keep in touch. It’s great that I have all these things to do, but, for me, the most important thing is to stay in touch with my friends. Please write.

No comments: