Thursday, August 18, 2005

And Recovery continues...

I've now gotten to the point in recovering where I'm no longer stuck in bed (thank the Lord). I've signed up for a painting class... which is basically therapy for me... I haven't painted anything for about 30 years, instead I got involved with photography, which remains my first love... especially now with digital. I'm also investigating making short videos and splicing them together on the computer. I'd love to have a Video of Los Martincitos to play to groups for donations.

So too am I going to start again at my Knitting group... I need to make a baby blanket for my friends Charro and Edgar who are expecting in November. I want to go back to Tai Chi as well, but that is still months of recovering away.

Mentally I'm feeling much better as well. Part of that is that I'm now able to do things other than read or watch TV; the other part of that is the medication for depression that I take. It takes a few weeks to start working, so it hasn't really had time, but it is beginning to correct my chemical imbalance.

All in all things are moving in the proper direction, and I'm really pleased. One of the biggest problems that I had around here was that all my friends lived everywhere but Massachusetts, so I had no one to pal around with. Another problem was and is that most of my friends are still working, leaving no one during the daytime. Taking the painting class won't change that, since it is at night, just as the Tai Chi class is, but the knitters meet during the day, and some of the painters work locally in Norwood center (I can come by and visit, and/or have lunch buddies).

I think of how much work I put into creating a support group in Peru, I just forgot that going on Disability Retirement was going to change my support group here. So now I'm working to find people here locally...That keeps me ON the streets, and not depressed in my bedroom.

No comments: