Saturday, August 19, 2006

You just won't believe this...

It turns out I didn't have the operation to repair my right femur, because I got very sick, see below for more, and was on a ventilatior, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, and on and on, but the Lord decided I am to stay here for a while, and gradually got me out of it. I when to a rehab place, which I won't reccommend to my worst enemy (who I don't have), and checked myself out a week later.

I had had some pain in my left leg before all that happened, even saw an orthopedist about it (HE GAVE ME AN INJECTION OF CORTISONE IN MY KNEE, TOOK XRAYS AND DECIDED I WAS KNOCK-KNEED, BUT COULD SEE NOTHING ELSE) that was really a lot like my right leg before it broke, and, incredibly enough, was. It (the left) broke about a week after I had gotten home. So now I'm back home after another pin and a stay in the same hospital, would NOT go back to the rehab place, awaiting visits from a home health nurse, an aide and a PT. The left leg is really painfull, and it is very hard to walk, but it is only 4 days after the surgery, after all.

I've now got pins in both femurs, and still have to replace the right one. The condition or deisease they suspect is Albers-Shoenberger Disease: osteopetrosis - adult mild form, which is inherited, and affects Mediterranian and Arab types... I may not have that quite right as I'm still gathering information. The very good news is that this form of it doesn't affect life expectancy!

So I'm even more bionic than before (although these bionic implants don't increase performance)... I'd better not walk near any strong magnets...

PS the next post will feture entrys from the "How I broke my leg" Excuse contest, with the winners taking home the much coveted Perils of Pamela award (an autographed copy of the PDA, an aluminium walker ingraved with your name, and a long titaniaum femur pin).

No comments: